Translate

Friday, September 13, 2024

It's All About Me #24

 

“If Friday were a rainbow, it would be a double one.” 

(Keith Wynn)

 

Hello, my lovely friends!

 

    Well, its Friday Funday and it's time to jump back into school days.  Okay, so, this might get a bit heavy, but I need to be honest. The second half of high school was...well, let's just say it wasn't my finest hour. Last week, we talked about the freshman and sophomore years. Now, it's time to dive into the junior and senior years, and let's just say, it's a bit of a roller-coaster.

 

 1. The facade I'd built crumbled during junior year, leaving me exposed and raw. The weight of expectations had become unbearable, plunging me into a dark abyss of depression and indifference. My once-pristine academic record became a casualty of my inner turmoil, as I traded textbooks for self-doubt and skipped classes for solace.

 

2.  A more reflective tone: My senior year was a masquerade. I juggled the expectations of school and home, but behind the scenes, the pressure was crushing. Pills and alcohol became my escape, a dangerous secret I couldn't hide forever. The truth eventually unraveled, and I realized I needed help. The week of Halloween, I checked into a rehab for teens. It was a difficult decision, but it was also a turning point. Those two months were a time of healing and growth. I emerged a different person, one who was finally ready to face the world.

 

3.  As I languished in the sterile confines of rehab, my world outside was torn apart. A car crash, a blur of metal and glass, had claimed the lives of some of my closest friends. Among the injured was my little buddy’s sister, a five-year-old bundle of sunshine.

My parents, their faces etched with grief, broke the news. I begged to attend the funeral. Twenty-four hours of freedom, a bittersweet reprieve from the walls of rehab. The sight of my friends, their grief a palpable cloud, tore at my heart. I couldn't shake the chilling thought: What if I had been there? Megan, my little shadow, might not have gone. The guilt gnawed at me, a constant reminder of the fragility of life and the cruel irony of fate.

 

4.  My high school was a prison I couldn't escape. Living right across the street meant I was a captive audience, forced to endure a daily torture. The first week back was a nightmare, with everyone treating me like fragile glass. I couldn't stand it. I dropped out a month later, finally breaking free from their suffocating grasp

 

5.  Instead of following the traditional high school path, I chose a more flexible educational journey that better suited my needs and circumstances. I enrolled in an alternative school designed for students who had dropped out or needed a more individualized approach to learning. This nontraditional setting allowed me to work at my own pace, explore subjects that interested me, and receive personalized support from dedicated teachers. I was able to complete my diploma in less than a year, demonstrating my commitment to education and my ability to succeed in a non-traditional learning environment.

 

6. I've been living the rock and roll dream. Every month, I'm diving headfirst into the mosh pit, losing myself in the music. One unforgettable night, I caught Def Leppard in their round-the-stage glory. They were filming their tour, and I swear I saw a glimpse of myself in the final cut. Did I really make it into the music videos for "Pour Some Sugar on Me" and "Armageddon It"? The DVD's a mystery I'm still trying to unravel, but one thing's for sure: I'm forever etched in the memories of that electrifying night.

 

So glad you could stop by! Wishing you a splendid rest of your day/evening/morning, wherever you may be.

Until next time! Adios...

 

 

8 comments:

  1. OH Paula, wrapping huge ((((HUGS)))) around you. I commend you (and your parents!) for the decision to enter rehab to get healthy. Similar story w/my DS, so I get it.

    Ds did 2 stints of rehab, and it did help. After he graduated he enlisted in the Army. Lots of stories w/that, but . . . it did get his priorities aligned. Today, he is happy, healthy and thriving. Thankfully. He found his nitch in food . . . because a chef and is thriving. Proud of his accomplishments.

    DH and I did both go to college and beyond, and he asked "Are you disappointed I didn't go to a conventional college?" NOOOOOOOOO! As I said to him, you are very smart. You are wise. You are doing what makes your heart sing! That's the best of life. Not everyone is cut out for academia and that's all right. That's why He made us all differently!

    So, very proud of you!

    hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was a rough time but I'm glad I got through it wiser. I agree always do what makes your heart sing. I'm glad your son got through everything too. Looks like he found what makes his heart sing.

      have a wonderful weekend! (((BIG HUGS)))

      Delete
  2. May the healing process continue. 💖💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanne!

      Enjoy your weekend! (((BIG HUGS)))

      Delete
  3. It's Kathy. I am so sorry you had such a difficult time during your later high school years. But I say good for you for understanding your personal needs, and good for your parents for allowing you to try non-traditional learning. You are so solid now, I would have never ever guessed you had such a challenging time. My own high school experience was not very exciting. I was on the dance team which probably kept me grounded. As it got close to graduation I told my family that I wanted to go on to college - their reaction! I wasn't smart enough to go to college!!! That was 1967! I'm happy to say that I'm the ONLY one of my family that graduated with a BS degree and all 5 of my children have advanced degrees! Guess I must have been smart enough! Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and understanding. I'm glad your dance team provided a grounding experience during your high school years. It's amazing how much our lives can change. I'm so proud of you for pursuing your education and achieving your goals.

      Have a wonderful weekend! (((BIG HUGS)))

      Delete
  4. Everyone's path to adulthood is their own. The expectations I thought were there from my parents, might not have been, but parents loom large in a teen's mind! When it came time for my son, his father didn't follow the traditional path so it was easier to see that it was OK not to do so. I still felt the weight of expectations of family, even as an adult. Shook it off after my parents passed on. So... late arriver at "adulthood" whatever that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great perspective! It's so true that everyone's journey to adulthood is unique. It's interesting how parental expectations can shape our early years. I'm glad that seeing your son's father's unconventional path helped you realize that there's no one-size-fits-all approach. And it's wonderful that you were able to shake off those lingering family expectations after your parents passed. It sounds like you've found a comfortable pace for yourself, and that's what matters most.

      Enjoy your weekend! (((BIG HUGS)))

      Delete

Yesterday's Blog

It's All About Me #26

“Gnome and elf and fairy, Witch and ghost make merry On this last of dear October’s days.” (Lettie C. Van Derveer)   Hello my lovel...

Popular Blogs