Translate

Friday, August 23, 2024

All About Me #21

 

“The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up0.” (Mark Twain)

 

Hello, my lovely friends!

 

    I apologize for the missed blog post yesterday. I thought it was Wednesday, but when I realized my mistake, it was too late. This week, our schools reopened, which brings me to the topic of the blog. 


1. I actually did attend preschool, but only for a single day. When I was four, my family moved across Denver, and my mom enrolled me in a local preschool. However, she didn't seem to like it very much, so I never returned.

After that, I attended kindergarten at two different schools. The first was a small duplex located near a park. The second was situated in the warehouse district. Although it was the same school, it had to relocate to a new building.

There wasn't a grade school nearby, but they began construction on one while I was in second grade. We all transitioned to the new school when I started third grade.

 

2.  My most significant childhood injury occurred in the fourth grade while playing tetherball. I accidentally struck my ankle against the metal pole, resulting in a sprained ankle. The swelling was noticeable in class. Over the summer, I unfortunately re-injured the same ankle two more times.

 

3. In my elementary school, they had special clubs for gifted and talented students called Club 34 and Club 56. To join, you had to take a test and have good grades. I was lucky enough to be in both clubs throughout my school years.

We worked on interesting projects that solved real-world problems. In Club 56, we actually helped plan a new community near our school. It was like a giant science experiment! That community is where I live now. Isn't that crazy?

 

4.  In 6th grade, I experienced my first heartbreak. Angelo, a boy from the classroom next door, was my first boyfriend. We'd often eat lunch together, sit side-by-side during movies, and even talk on the phone. When our relationship ended, I was devastated. The thought of going to school was unbearable. My mom, sensing my distress, allowed me to stay home that day. We spent the time cooking together, which provided a comforting distraction.

 

5. Grade school was where my love for classic films began. Every afternoon, after a hearty lunch, we'd head outside to play on the playground, where the ringers were my favorite. When the weather turned cold or snowy, we'd have the option of indoor fun: playing in the gym or settling into the auditorium for a classic movie. Laurel and Hardy, The Three Stooges, and The Little Rascals were our favorites. I always hated going back to class when a movie was still playing! Even at home, my dad would scan the TV guide (remember those?) for old films to watch together. That's how my lifelong appreciation for classic cinema started.

 

6.  In sixth grade, we had a recognition ceremony honoring students' achievements. Had this been high school, I likely would have graduated as the Salutatorian. I maintained an impeccable academic record, earning honors every year since third grade. My consistent excellence earned me a special award. Additionally, I was recognized as a 'Good Citizen' each year, an honor nominated by both teachers and students.

 

So glad you could stop by! Wishing you a splendid rest of your day/evening/morning, wherever you may be.

Until next time! Adios...

 

8 comments:

  1. An impressive childhood resume. Wear the crown of youth proudly.👑

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanne! Back in the day when kids did things outside and had fun. Too bad we can't go back to being kids again.

      Have a marvelous weekend! (((BIG HUGS)))

      Delete
  2. How awesome that you had the talents to be in Club 34 and Club 56. Nothing like that existed when I was in school.

    How wise your Mom was to have allowed you to stay home that day and cook with her while you processed your feelings.

    Oh my. My parents had us signed on for classes @ the local YMCA on Saturdays. We had various classes (swimming, gym, ice skating, cooking, and wrestling for the boys). Then we’d have a lunch break in the gymacaretorium where there would be movies like you described: Shirley Temple, Laurel and Hardy, the 3 Stooges, the Little Rascals and in the winter when we spent more time in the gymacaretorium there would be musicals. Loved them all.

    You are a smart woman!!! Your hard work in school paid off. I struggled in school due to poor hearing, but by the time high school came around, I was on my game. Thank goodness!

    HUGS and here’s to a great weekend.

    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Barb! Thank you, it was fun in elementary school. I was lucky that my parents let us become out own person early on. I loved those days when they had on the old movies on. My mom helped heart my young broken heart.

      Enjoy your weekend! (((BIG HUGS)))

      Delete
  3. It's Kathy. Good thing I read your blog today because I thought it was Thursday! I came home from the hospital yesterday late morning and proceeded to hurt my "strong" leg getting into my house. My "weak" leg has completely healed but the other one is quite weak. I think it's because that poor leg held me up for so many months. Had a really good night sleep last night - I think I slept as many hours in one night as I did during the last 3 nights. Sleeping in the hospital is impossible! So I'm resting today - all day. My dear husband is making sure I'm doing okay. The left leg is healing a bit but I sure can't get around yet without the walker! I love your school memories. I went to the same elementary school from K - 6th grade, then the same Jr. High 7 - 9, and High School 10 - 12. There was no Gifted and Talented opportunities back in the old days but two of my daughters were part of that throughout grade school. Good for you for doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Kathy! I'm glad you're home and recovering well. Bless your husband for being your nurse as you get better. Sending lots of prayers and positive vibes for you.

      Have a good weekend of rest. (((BIG HUGS)))

      Delete
  4. Oh, those memories of youth! How intensely we felt things, especially disappointments. Your mom showed remarkable compassion for your distress when you and your first boyfriend broke up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Barb! I know my mom is the best helping mend my broken little heart then.

      Have an amazing weekend! (((BIG HUGS)))

      Delete

Yesterday's Blog

It's All About Me #26

“Gnome and elf and fairy, Witch and ghost make merry On this last of dear October’s days.” (Lettie C. Van Derveer)   Hello my lovel...

Popular Blogs