Translate

Friday, August 2, 2024

All About Me #19


 

Hello, my lovely friends!

 

     Oh, summer vacation!  As a kid, those words were pure magic. Can you believe how quickly the school year used to fly by just so I could dive headfirst into the lazy, hazy days of summer?

 

      I remember the excitement of the last day of school, the countdown to freedom! Endless hours of playing outside, building forts, riding bikes, and exploring the neighborhood with my friends. Those sun-kissed days are some of my favorite childhood memories. Today let's talk about my favorite vacations as a child. 

 

1.  August was the magic month. Like clockwork, Dad would roar into our driveway, our grandpa's camper in tow, its vintage charm promising endless adventures. Mom would spring into action, her energy contagious as she wrangled our clothes into duffels and stocked the camper with enough snacks to feed a small army. After a whirlwind day of cleaning and prepping, the camper transformed into our home away from home. Bedtime was a mere formality; the anticipation of what lay ahead kept our eyes wide open as dawn painted the sky. My sister and I would pretend to sleep, but the truth was, we were already halfway there in our minds.

 

2.  My parents were generous, giving us a ten dollar daily allowance to spend as we pleased. While my sister chased the latest trendy thing, I found joy in the simple things. City-themed pens and pencils were my treasures, a collection I cherished. But then, like a siren song, the grab bag called my name. One dollar, a gamble for unknown delights. With a flutter of excitement, I’d dive in, heart pounding with anticipation. Inside, a world of surprises awaited, turning each day into a tiny adventure.

 

3.  I'm a total Disney rebel. My first kiss wasn't with a prince charming, but with Dopey! Yeah, I was two, but I was clearly ahead of my time. Grabbed the little guy by the ears and planted one right on those cartoon lips.

 

4. Our eighth-grade field trip to New Mexico was like stepping back in time! I was totally blown away by the rich Mexican history. The second I got home, I couldn’t stop raving about it. That summer, we decided to dive deeper and took a road trip to Santa Fe and Albuquerque. It became our annual pilgrimage to soak up the culture and visit the amazing Santuario de Chimayo. Over the years, we turned it into a family affair, bringing along my grandparents and my sister’s crew. It's a special place – both Cuinn and Kyle even got blessed there!

 

5.  South Dakota and Wyoming totally rocked my world! Between gawking at Mount Rushmore's presidential profiles and feeling like a real-life Flintstone, I had the time of my life. The Badlands were otherworldly cool, and Devil's Tower was like something from another planet. Best vacation ever!

 

6.  Colorado is a vacationer's dream! Every summer, we loved exploring our own backyard. From casting a line in the mountains to exploring Colorado Springs and Denver, there’s always a new adventure waiting.

 

7.  At eighteen, I finally traded solid ground for the sky. My maiden voyage? My sister's Florida wedding.

 

Thank you so much for stopping by today.

I wish you a good morning, afternoon or evening wherever you are.

Talk Soon, Adios…

6 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Thank you for sharing those precious memories. Happy Friday! 🤗💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanne. I feel good being back, got my writing mojo back and ready to put up blogs. Hope things are going well for you, my friend.

      Have a wonderful weekend (((BIG HUGS)))

      Delete
  2. What sweet memories of your family vacations! Yes! Never did sleep in anticipation of our departure for vacation on the road!

    I remember our road trip out west to AZ to visit my Mom’s Dad. It was wonderful. Saw Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, the Badlands, Mt. Evans (highest paved – or almost paved) auto road up the mountains in Colorado. And New Mexico. Lovely memories!

    Here’s to a good weekend.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know we were always so excited about going that sleep just didn't happen. I have not seen the Grand Canyon, but would love too. Those are some great memories to have.

      Have a fantastic weekend! (((BIG HUGS)))

      Delete
  3. it's Kathy. Wonderful memories! When I was young my parents and my aunt & uncle would rent cabins on a lake near Brainerd, MN. One summer I fell while climbing a tree (total tomboy!) and I remember having to go into town to see a doctor. But when I was about 12 my parents and my aunt & uncle bought lake homes on Rush Lake - next to one another. In the summers my mom and aunt would stay at the lake for weeks while my dad and uncle would come on the weekends. It was so much fun. Rush City was 3 miles away and our moms would let us 3 older kids walk into town (there were 5 of us). When I was older I met a young man who exercised the horses on a ranch nearby - he would let me ride with him. That was the best! But by high school it was hard to get up there because there were so many other activities! Those are great memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fun to hang out at the lake. My aunt and uncle had one and we would all use it. They are great memories to have.

      Enjoy your weekend! (((BIG HUGS)))

      Delete

Yesterday's Blog

It's All About Me #26

“Gnome and elf and fairy, Witch and ghost make merry On this last of dear October’s days.” (Lettie C. Van Derveer)   Hello my lovel...

Popular Blogs