Translate

Friday, September 6, 2024

It's All About Me #23


 

"The best index to a person's character is how he treats people who can't do him any good, and how he treats people who can't fight back." (Abigail Van Buren)

 

Hello, my lovely friends!

 

It's Friday Funday again! Can you believe how quickly these weeks fly by? We're still diving into school, and this week we're revisiting junior high — those awkward 7th and 8th grade years. It's that in-between stage, where you're not quite a kid anymore but not quite a teenager. Tell me, how were those years for you.

 

1. I was selected for the Gifted and Talented program again, a familiar experience after participating in similar programs like Club 34 and Club 56 in elementary school. The program met weekly for specialized activities. In eighth grade, we embarked on a week-long trip to New Mexico with other Gifted and Talented schools. This was my first visit to New Mexico, and I loved it so much that we returned as a family during our summer vacation. We continued this tradition annually, even taking my grandparents along.

 

2. Our community lacked a junior high school, so we were bused to four different schools across Denver. I attended a school on the opposite side of the city, conveniently located about ten minutes from my dad's workplace. On days when my dad had a late start, he would often drop me off at school and pick me up after work.

 

3. On snowy mornings, when the accumulation was significant, my mom would often let me stay home from school. Our bus route was long and involved traveling on the highway, making it particularly risky in inclement weather. In fact, most of our neighbors would also stay home on snow days. When we did attend school, the buses would invariably arrive late, making for an especially long commute.

 

4.  In 7th grade, our class gathered in the classroom with TVs to watch the Space Shuttle Challenger launch. The excitement turned to horror as we witnessed the tragic explosion. Our teacher explained the event to us, and the collective sadness was palpable.

 

5.  In 7th grade, I wrote a report on Martin Luther King Jr. , that my teacher loved so much, she entered it into a Denver Public Schools writing contest. To my surprise, I won for my school! As a reward, I was invited to a special event at a local high school where all the winners from different schools gathered. It was exciting to meet other talented writers. I even received a ribbon for placing in the top ten.

 

6.  Being in the Gifted and Talented program meant I was placed in specialized classes. With only about five students from our area in the program, I was separated from most of my neighborhood peers except for gym and one other class. This isolation unexpectedly revealed the true nature of my friendships. The friends I'd known since starting school proved to be loyal and supportive, while some of the newer ones from the school neighborhood turned out to be less reliable. There were days when I yearned to be in the regular classes with my childhood friends. While I did form strong bonds with a few newer students, those friendships faded after junior high.

 

So glad you could stop by! Wishing you a splendid rest of your day/evening/morning, wherever you may be.

Until next time! Adios...

 

6 comments:

  1. It’s hard when you are in a different program than many of your school mates. *SIGH* But at least you had some good experiences!

    Have a great weekend.

    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, being in a different program can be a bit lonely. But hey, at least I learned something new and exciting.

      Have a marvelous weekend! (((BIG HUGS)))

      Delete
  2. Your post brings back many memories. Happy Friday! 🤗💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it! Memories are the best kind of time travel,

      Enjoy your weekend! (((BIG HUGS)))

      Delete
  3. It's Kathy. WOW! I am very impressed with your school years. How wonderful to have a trip to New Mexico - I've always wanted to see that state. I understand the separation from your regular friends. Some of my children were in the Gifted and Talented group in school and it did separate them from the day to day school things sometimes. I honestly remember very little about junior high except walking to school in the snowy winter days! Our Junior High combined 3 elementary schools so there were so many people I didn't know, and still don't. When we have reunions they often separate out the 3 elementary schools! Seems kind of silly to me after all this time. I can't believe it's Friday already! How did that happen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words about my school years. New Mexico was indeed a wonderful experience, and I still cherish those memories. I completely understand about the separation that can come with being in a gifted and talented program. It's a unique situation that can be both rewarding and challenging.

      It's those little details that can stick with you for a lifetime. Our junior high was also a bit of a melting pot, with students from multiple elementary schools. I remember feeling a bit overwhelmed at first, but it was a great opportunity to meet people from different backgrounds. It's interesting to hear that they still separate the elementary schools at reunions.

      Have a great weekend! (((BIG HUGS)))

      Delete

Yesterday's Blog

It's All About Me #26

“Gnome and elf and fairy, Witch and ghost make merry On this last of dear October’s days.” (Lettie C. Van Derveer)   Hello my lovel...

Popular Blogs