Translate

Friday, May 24, 2024

All About Me #13

 

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (From A.A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh)

 

Hello, my lovely friends!

 

        You know the drill, it’s Friday Funday! Im already on #13 and Ive told you lots of different things about me. What more could I tell you? Im sure Ill figure out lots of things. Since we have the little man as a hero, lets talk about all the animals in my life through the years. 

 

1. Our first dog was a German Shepard named Charlie. I don’t remember much about him because I was three, he was more my sisters dog. I believe someone stole him from our backyard and we never got him back.

 

2. By the time I was around six or seven we got a new dog when my parents bought our first house. They took us to the shelter and we were able to pick a dog and we found a black poodle and named her Buffy. She was with us until I was around fifteen and passed away.

 

3. I then went through a goldfish phase. First it started with a small fish bowl and then it would get bigger until we had a tank. I could have lots of goldfish in there. I did name them all because why not? Whenever one of them would die I would find a small box and bury it in the backyard. How crazy it must have been to the people who bought our house if they dug up the yard and find little boxes with a dead fish in it.

 

4. When I turned 17 I asked for a cat for my birthday. Once again we went to our local shelter to look for a cat. The only thing I was looking for was a black cat. I walked around tapping all the windows and not one cat was having a reaction to me, but then this black and white cat was there and when I tapped on the window he jumped up and wanted to play. This was the cat I wanted and I picked him We were told that a couple just came in about an hour earlier an gave him up. It was meant to be. I named him Rio after my favorite Duran Duran album I had him for nearly ten years, he got feline leukemia and I had to put him down.

 

5. After Rio passed I didn’t want a new pet and didnt have one for ten years. Then one day while at home someone tried to break into the house and knew I needed a dog. We went to the shelter looking and it took a few visit until we found the right dog and there she was. Miss Bella, our beagle. She was found on the street by someone and they brought her to the shelter. She was moved around to different shelters. They didnt want her to go to a family with kids because she was a scared dog. We had Bella for ten years. She passed away in December of 2017, the same year as my dad from old age. Her body just started shutting down and we had to put her down.

 

6. In March of 2018 I knew we needed a dog because it was just me and my mom. We looked at a couple of places, but nothing caught our eye. Then one night while looking online there was this big dog that sounded just like Bella, no kids, found on the streets and very scared. I took it as a sign from Bella that this was the dog for us. We go the next day to look at the dog and someone else was already in there. A little old lady was holding this tiny dog and he didn’t move from her lap. We were waiting to see the other dog and decided to look at this cutie while we waited. Well, that cutie came in did a little hula walk and I melted. This was the dog for us and that was Scooter. I considered naming him Hamilton, after F1 driver Lewis Hamilton, but Scooter fits him.

 

        So those are all the animals I’ve had up to now. Were considering getting a second dog, but not sure how Scoots will like it. What animals did you have growing up?

 

Thank you so much for stopping by.

I wish you a good morning, afternoon or evening wherever you are.

Be Seeing You…

4 comments:

  1. How horrible that someone stole Charlie from your backyard! Awwww, I’ve had 1 black poodle and then a black poodle mix (a shi-tzu/poodle mix). Wonderful dog!

    Awwww, so sad that your Rio got Feline Leukemia. Breaks your heart!

    I remember all your tales about Miss Bella. A truly special girl! That’s amazing. My Mr. Spot #2 passed away 9 days after my Dad in 2017. I am convinced it was a broken heart. They were best buds. Sad!

    AND THEN CAME SCOOTER! What a little gentleman! Definitely meant to be!

    I had all kinds of pets growing up: turtles, hamsters, fish (including a gold fish I named Goldie -- how original, eh!), chameleons, then Mr. Spot #1. He lived to be 20. Sweet guy. He was followed by Miss Brigit (an apricot poodle -- absolutely an angel puppy), Mr. Spot #2 and now, Miss Lilly.

    I could not imagine a life w/o our Miss Lilly. After Mr. Spot #2 passed away, I didn’t want another dog . . . until my bestie called me. She’d gotten a yorkie/poodle mix named Miss Daisy. She said her sister, Miss Lilly, was still up for adoption. Mind you – we live in WI and this little one was in IL. Jason and I talked it over and she came home to us in Oct. 2019. She (and her sister, Miss Daisy) will be 5 on 03 June. Unbelievable. It was meant to be!

    Here's to a great weekend.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
  2. We live in the boonies. Our current canine pet is a "dump" dog. Someone stopped in the highway and dumped the dog. He adopted us. We fed him and he stayed. What's so very odd, is that he never leaves the property. We have 3 acres that he roams. Apparently, that's good enough for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Kathy. Growing up we had two cats - a black cat named Shegg and a Calico named Gypsy. My parents had a cabin so my dad built them a crate and we took them to the lake with us. Shegg loved to catch mice and would leave one at my Aunts, Our Cabin and the Neighbor's 2 hours down. Apparently he didn't like the neighbor next door!

    When I got married we got a Cocker Spaniel and named him Tripsicorie. When my husband went to Korea Tripsy came home to my parent's with me and I took him everywhere. But he wasn't happy to have my husband back and became very growly. We adopted another cocker named Gleam and Tripsy got her pregnant. Shortly after my oldest daughter was born the puppies were born and we kept one, Tripsicorie Junior. By then it was clear that we couldn't trust Tripsy around the baby so he had to be put down.

    When we moved to where I live now, 6 weeks after my twin sons were born, we adopted a Golden named Ginger. She lived to 15. She was the best dog! I've always had a cat or 2, after my mom died I took her cat and then for awhile I had 4. Another 15 years went by and I was retired missing having a dog so we adopted Daisy - a Cocker/Golden mix. She has been the best friend anyone could ever ask for. She just turned 11. I'm really hoping for a few more years with her but I can see her slowing down! It breaks my heart that one day she will leave us!

    Thanks for the opportunity to travel down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, dear: we had cats! My dad never had dogs growing up and said they would ruin his lawn. But we had a succession of 13 cats at least. There was Tiger, when I was in diapers, who taught me that cats are not riding toys. Then there was Fluffy, my big sister's kitten that had to be given up when we moved towns. Next came the minister's cat, Tippy, who had a silent miaow. After that I start losing track of the order and the names. There was a black kitten named Mariah, as in "they call the wind Mariah". There was Zorba the gray. After I moved out, there were others. As a young single sharing a 2-bedroom apartment with my brother, there was Franco, who wasn't our cat, but came boldly into our apartment whenever he felt like it. As a young married woman, I got my first dog, really for my husband. This was Lilly, a white dustmop, mostly cockapoo, with a deep bark. We ended up with a couple of cats from my mother in law's rearing, one named Rocket the other Dickens. After Lilly died, we tried to adopt another dog, named Sammy. She turned out to be an escape artist, and was soon out of the picture, hit by a car.

    And then Diamond came into our lives, in 1996, and she was the one bright spot in a terrible year. She was a German Shorthaired Pointer, and the dog of my heart (until now). After we moved to Nebraska, a cat whose owner had passed away joined the household. Her name was Cyndi, and she lived in the upstairs bedroom while Diamond had the rest of the house. Cyndi was ancient to begin with and I don't think she lasted a full year with us.

    Diamond had to be put down at age 14, I could not bear the thought of that kind of heart ache again, but two kittens managed to weasel their way into my heart and home that same year. The Prisoner and Patches. Patches passed young. Rubia came along as a kitten sometime later.

    And now, of course, there is Ember, the lab puppy, so adorable and so wanting to be a good dog. We are working our way through communications issues between human and canine but there is much love shared, and I know Diamond would approve!

    Ah, yes, as the other Barb said, thanks for the memory trigger! Animals certainly make life richer!

    ReplyDelete

Yesterday's Blog

Catching Up

 "To be happy you must let go of what's gone. Be grateful for what remains. Look forward to what is coming." (Author Unknown) ...

Popular Blogs