Translate

Friday, May 10, 2024

All About Me #11

 

 "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else." (Judy Garland)

 

 Hello, my lovely friends!

 

       This month is just all about me when it comes to my culture and heritage. Last week we talked about my Mexican side, but I probably could do another one maybe next week about some more things. However this week were in Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month and my Polynesian side fall into this. So, here we go

 

1. This is my dads side of the family. His dad was born in the Philippines, bit sure what island though. When he was a young man in his twenties he came over to the United States to find a better life for himself. He came with one of his brothers and he moved to California. There was a big Pacific Island community in Denver and thats why he moved here.

 

2. My first name is in honor of him, his name was Paul. My middle name is Rachel and that is named after my moms dad and his name was Raymond. 

 

3. Growing up the hula is a big part of the family. My dads sister, Nancy danced the hula and passed that down to her daughter. She now teaches hula dancing and all my female cousins and their daughters do hula. I did the dancing as a kid, but never continued on with it.

 

4. My grandpa played many instruments and wanted his children to learn to play any instrument. When I was in grade school we could sign up for band in 5th grade. I decided to play the violin and the school would give us one to learn on for the year. When my grandpa found out I was playing the violin he gave me one of his. I still have that violin from him.

 

5. Whenever anyone in the family has a big celebration (wedding, shower, birthdays etc) we will have a luau with all the bells and whistles. Yes, it does involve a pig and other Polynesian foods. Our entertainment does have the hula dancers, both male and female.

 

6. There are many different languages that Polynesians speak, Tahitian, Tagalog, Samoan, Tongan, Māori and Hawaiian.. Our family sticks to the Tagalog and Hawaiian languages. I only know very little, but would love to learn more. The Tahitian language is spoken by mostly French Polynesians and thats where my grandpa came from.

 

Thank you so much for stopping by.

I wish you a good morning, afternoon or evening wherever you are.

Until next time Adios!

8 comments:

  1. Love it! The family instrument heritage in ours goes through my sister the music teacher. I know she has a four-times-great grandpa's violin, and our uncle's cello, as well as a large collection of instruments she has gathered over the decades. Somewhere in Spark history I have a photo of me trying out Lafayette Smith's violin (at her house, of course)!

    How festive to have the luau for family celebrations, too. You have a vibrant heritage, Paula!

    (( big hugs )) and wishes for a great Friday and weekend to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I used to say I was cultured, but someone said you're just spicy. I like that be

      Enjoyy our day! (((BIG HUGS)))

      Delete
  2. Your family history, on both sides, is remarkable. The stories could fill a book that would make a wonderful read. 🤗💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it is filled with lots of different things.

      Have a lovely day! (((BIG HUGS)))

      Delete
  3. You have a rich cultural heritage between your Mom and Dad. That is wonderful.

    hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb. There's lots in there.


      Enjoy your day! (((BIG HUGS)))

      Delete
  4. It's Kathy. This is so interesting. In all these years I guess I've missed the Polynesian side of you. I love the Hula. Several years ago I took Hula Dancing lessons with my oldest daughter, so much fun! But unfortunately it was about an hour drive for me during rush hour traffic, so after a few lessons I had to stop. I also love that you celebrate holidays with a Luau. I've only seen that on TV but it looks so fun! And how great to have received a violin from your Grandfather! I have a violin that one of my mother's Norwegian ancestors made - wish I had listened more when she told me about it. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, on my dad's side. Everyone wears the Hawaiian shirts and everything.

    Have a wonderful day! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete

Yesterday's Blog

So Much Cooking

    "Give yourself permission to immediately walk away from anything that gives you bad vibes. There is no need to explain or make sens...

Popular Blogs