Translate

Tuesday, August 25, 2026

3 AM Thoughts, Early Fall Dreams, and Finding My Rhythm Again


"Remember, there are no real failures in life, only results. There are no true tragedies, only lessons. And there really are no problems, only opportunities waiting to be recognized as solutions by the person of wisdom." (Robin Sharma)


Hello, my lovely friends! 

 

    It is officially three in the morning and I am fully committing to this all-nighter. Mom has to go in for more scans today, and since we need to leave the house by seven, I knew there was no way I was successfully waking up at five. So here I am in the quiet dark. Mike is completely passed out, and honestly, I am kind of loving this peaceful little pocket of time to myself. I’ve just been floating around YouTube, catching up on things, and chatting with you all while the rest of the world is asleep.

Mom has really been through the absolute wringer lately, but the last couple of weeks have actually been a bit better with her pain. She ended up having to cancel her trip out to my sister’s for the Bruno Mars concert, which was a bummer, but Cuinn is going in her place and Mom is feeling pretty decent now. Plus, my sister called yesterday to ask if Mom wants to come out for the holidays and stay for a whole month. You guys already know how much I would love that. Having some quiet time alone with Mike would be amazing, but more than anything, I think Mom just needs an escape. Her whole life here has felt like one endless doctor’s appointment, and a real break would do her so much good.

Speaking of the holidays, my brain has already fully skipped late summer and landed straight into autumn. We are starting to haul up the Halloween and fall bins this week because we want to go all out for Mike. His family was never big on holiday stuff—their version of Christmas was basically just swapping gift cards and moving on with their day, not even a tree in sight. We want to show him how fun it can actually be, and he has zero clue what he’s in for. I’m so excited that I’m probably going to start decorating in September just so we can sit back and enjoy it longer.

    Just when we thought our weather was cooling down, the 100s made an appearance over the weekend. We have been getting some afternoon and evening rain here, and we’re loving that so much. Finally the monsoon has hit us. The only thing growing in my containers are lettuce now. There’s a few tomatoes, but I don’t think they’re going to survive.

It feels like nature is playing a giant practical joke on all of us right now. One minute you’re pulling out a light sweater, dreaming about crisp air and everything autumn, and the next minute you step outside and remember what it feels like to melt on impact. I spent half the weekend just moving from one air-conditioned room to another, completely refusing to do anything useful. But honestly, watching the rain roll in during the late afternoon makes all that ridiculous heat almost worth it. There’s something so grounding about listening to the thunder rumble while sitting inside with a cold drink, watching the sky finally open up.

My little patio setup is definitely showing the stress of the season, though. Seeing a handful of lonely tomatoes hanging on for dear life is a little heartbreaking, but I’ve made my peace with the fact that lettuce is Apparently the true survivor of the bunch. At least something is happy to be alive out there, even if my dream of a massive tomato harvest is officially going down in flames.

    September 1st is right around the corner, and I’ve decided it’s officially time for a fresh start. With the holidays sneaking up on us faster than I’d like to admit, I really want to rededicate myself to writing and hanging out on the blog much more often. I’ve missed having this space as a regular part of my routine, and it feels like the perfect moment to jump back in with both feet.

Along with getting my writing mojo back, I’m also tackling my diet. I completely fell off the wagon after Mike moved in, which I guess was bound to happen. He’s used to living on fast food, and it turned out to be way too easy for me to fall right into that trap alongside him. Needless to say, the scale is reflecting it, and I’ve definitely gained some weight over the last few months.

So, I’m officially taking back control of the kitchen. Step one started yesterday when I chopped up a massive, full-on salad loaded with everything good. It feels great to finally put something green back on my plate, and honestly, just making the choice to start fresh feels like a huge relief. Here's to getting back on track.

 

I’m so grateful you dropped by! I hope the rest of your day brings you a little extra joy and a chance to unwind. Take a gentle breath, take care, and see you soon.

2 comments:

  1. Hear is hoping your mom's scans go well and bring good results for her. I hope this all leads to your mom being able to enjoy some time away with other family and not to feel like she is going from one doctor thing to another. I am looking forward as always to reading more of your blogs. Great to catch up with you and have a wonderful day! Huge hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love quiet time, too.

    Glad, despite her challenges, that your Mom is feeling better. Good luck to her (and y’all) w/the scans.

    That would be wonderful if your Mom could go visit your sister for the holidays. Yes, time alone is rejuvenating!

    Mother Nature really has been out of her element this season. Makes me wonder what Winter will be like!

    Good for you taking back control of the kitchen. It’s challenging to get into the groove when things change!

    And good to hear from you!


    hugs
    barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete

Yesterday's Blog

Coffee in the Quiet: A Tale of Downpours and Disappearing Tires

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.” (...

Popular Blogs